Vagina Candidiasis also known as Vaginal yeast infection is a fungal infection that causes very unpleasant manifestations like intense itching of the vagina and the vagina opening (Vulva). This yeast infection is not necessarily a sexually transmitted disease, as women that are not sexually active get this infection but it can be spread by sexual contact too.
What could possibly be the cause of Vagina Candidiasis?
In the vagina, there are bacteria and yeast that naturally resides in the vagina, but when there is an imbalance in the vagina, Yeast multiplies and causes a yeast infection. It can also be caused by the penetration of a fungus called fungus candida albicans. Now! an imbalance in the vagina can be because of,
- Antibiotic use
- uncontrolled diabetes
- Weak immune system
- Not eating right, poor eating habits.
- Taking oral contraceptives
- Hormone imbalance
- Stress and Lack of sleep
Vagina Yeast Infections, have some very specific manifestations like:
- Thick whitish Odorless vagina discharge that looks like cottage cheese
- Intense itching and irritation of the vagina and vulva (the vagina opening)
- Burning sensation during sex or urination
- Redness and swelling of the vulva
- Rash on the vagina
- Vagina pain
You should see your doctor immediately if:
- You’ve had a yeast infection in the past
- You feel the symptoms but you can’t figure out what infection you have
- You’ve tried over the counter medications or home remedies but you sense no results, the symptoms persist.
- Symptoms worsens and intensifies.
At a consultation with your doctor, He/She will ask you some clinical questions about your symptoms (a clinical history taking), afterwards a pelvic examination will be done and finally your vaginal secretions will be tested.
After the diagnosis have been established, you will be prescribed anti-fungal medications either orally, in forms of creams and ointment or suppositories. It can be a short or long term therapy depending on how severe the infection is or has become.
Why treat, when you can always prevent! How can you prevent yeast infections from happening?
- No douching!
- Eat delicious yogurts
- Avoid sitting in hot tubes
- Avoid scented feminine products
- Wash your under wears with hot water
- Do not stay in wet clothings for a long period of time
- Avoid wearing tight outfits like pantyhose, leggings etc
- Have protected sex
Be Strong. Stay in Good Health.
Did you enjoy reading this? Don’t forget to like, follow, share and Pen 🖊 down your comments.
Read up on my blog post on Bacterial Vaginosis .
Find out the difference between bacteria and yeast infections.
Keep up with me on my social media, it will be great to have you there🙂,
Find me on,